SUBSIDISED FERTILIZER STOLEN FROM NYAHURURU NATIONAL CEREALS AND PRODUCE BOARD ON 17TH FEB, 2015
The Nyandarua County Government and the Department of Agriculture Nyandarua County would like to state the following with regard to the loss of the subsidized fertilizer from the National Cereals and Produce Board Depot, Nyahururu, on the night of 17th February, 2015.
1) That on Monday the 16th February 2015 a consignment of 560 bags of Compound Fertilizer arrived at Nyahururu Depot.
2) The fertilizer was not immediately issued to the enlisted farmers as should have been the case. The farmers were instead asked to go home and return on Wednesday.
3) On Wednesday morning the loss of the following consignment was reported from the NCPB stores:
a) 477 bags of the fertilizer
b) 25 bags of maize
c) 2000 empty jute gunny bags
d) 2 bags of muriate of potash
4) The Nyandarua County Government, following the reported loss, immediately initiated its own investigations, to help recover the fertilizer on behalf of the farmers. The County Government also went ahead and provided the necessary support to the security personnel to help in investigations. To date, this fertilizer has not been recovered, contrary to media reports.
5) My appeal and that of my Government is that the National Government moves with speed to help recover the fertilizer and have the culprits apprehended. This fertilizer is intended to support our farmers, especially during this planting season, to have better access and to bring down the cost of production. This loss therefore amounts to economic sabotage and the faster this issue is fully concluded the better, both for the Government and the farmer.
6) Nyandarua County farmers benefit from the following other depots of NCPB:
I would like to appeal to the NCPB depots in all these areas too, together with the particular Sub-County Agriculture Officers to be extremely vigilant, and to give reports to my office on regular basis, concerning the amounts arriving, and being distributed to farmers.
Finally, I would like to thank the Cabinet Secretary – Hon Felix Koskei for heeding to our plea, to increase the distribution centers in Nyandarua County. The following 3 new depots will also serve as fertilizer distribution centres.
1) Ndivai stores in Leshau -Ndaragwa
2) Geta Farmers Co-operative in Kipipiri
3) Njabini ATC in Kinangop
This will go a long way in ensuring equity in fertilizer distribution.
H.E. DANIEL WAITHAKA MWANGI